Saturday, May 29, 2010

Creative Tension

While it takes two to collaborate, I think it only fair to mention our unseen and unsung collaborators, Elbert's wife, Carla, and my husband, Jim. I can't speak for Carla, who is the soul of patience, but I can attest that Jim did have an influence -- not in the writing, but in allowing me time to write.

Jim has always supported me. I think that is because neither of us came into the marriage (a second one for each of us) thinking we would change the other. We accepted the person "as is." On the other hand, neither of us was too concerned when the other person changed, as people do over the course of time and influence. Jim became interested in the paranormal and past-life regression, subjects he expressed no interest in before we married.

When I decided about halfway into our 30+ years relationship that I wanted to be a writer, not a word was said as I spent our household money to join writers' groups, buy books on writing and subscribe to magazines. Dust piled up, clothes when unironed as I pursued the muse. He even attended poetry readings with me (a sacrifice I no longer demand from him as long as he doesn't insist I view the latest photo he took of floating orbs in our back yard).

And, when I finally got a book contract, he was unsurprised. "Wasn't that what you've been working for?" he asked, as if it had been just a matter of time.

Now, back to Elbert's perpective. I object to being labeled "passive" but that is his point of view. There were times I thought he was a little too "out of the box" what with dancing cigarette lighters and talking liquor bottles.

Creative tension comes from holding two opposite views at the same time. Let's hope our opposites have created a story-telling tension that will keep readers reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment